Friday 25 February 2011

Let's Talk Disability!

So yesterday me and some friends went Proud Camden for the Channel4's Battlefront campaign winner Ella Prendergast and LTD fest. I think just about everyone in the school was invited along to support the cause, and even though we went not really knowing what the whole thing would be about, it ended up really surprising us.

Firstly, let me just say that I thought it was absolutely amazing, and I know that I and everyone I went with enjoyed it! There was an amazing turnout, the atmosphere was great and I met and had the chance to speak to a lot of new and lovely people. For those of you who don't know what it was let me explain...

Ella was a Battlefront campaigner to raise awareness for her cause, which was aiming to break down the barriers between able and disabled people, and her campaign was called Let's Talk Disability. You can find more information on the campaign here.
Basically, it was a one-day festival, hosted by T4's Jameela Jamil (!!!!) and there were lots of brilliant performers and amazing art work on display, not to mention the venue was gorgeous! There were lots of little chill out booths and rooms (even a karaoke room, but you know, I decided to spare everyone my far from publicly acceptable singing...) and lots of freebies and giveaways, and who doesn't like a good freebie right? ;D Some beautiful artwork was displayed on the walls, and unfortunately I didn't catch the names of the artists, but I do know that they were by disabled and autistic artists. How amazing is that? Also, there were two different stages, and variety of acts ranging from comedians to beatboxers and drummers football skills to dancers etc. - and all of it was disabled and non-disabled young talent. The acts were really the main show, and I honestly don't think I can even pick a favourite! But I must admit I loved the contemporary dancing, and the beatboxing blew my mind.

Anyway, Ella's main inspiration for the campaign was her older sister Nancy, and she directed a video, starring Nancy, to highlight the issue of bullying and name-calling. The video is short and sweet, and I think I very nearly teared up while watching it, so you guys need to take a look, you can find it below! But yeah, the point is clear, ableism isn't something taken seriously enough, and I think the whole campaign and event was a fantastic way to raise awareness and integrate both able and disable people. Don't stare at people you think are different, don't whisper and definitely don't call them names. Talk to them, make friends, treat them normally - that's something I learned from yesterday.

"Be the change you want to see in the world" - Mahatma Gandhi 
SO SPREAD THE WORD.
Pictures will be posted as soon as they're uploaded!



No comments:

Post a Comment